Whether you choose your health insurance through a company, Medicare or receive some type of government aid, shopping for health insurance can be confusing and frustrating. October and November are the months that people can shop around for a new healthcare plan. Below are 7 factors to consider and understand before you pick a health care plan for the year.


Premium is the amount of money you will pay monthly for coverage. It is the standard payment you will have to pay monthly. Its important to find a plan that meets your budget; however, the least expensive plan may not be right for you.

Low premiums may mean greater deductibles or limited coverage. Rather than purchasing based on premiums , you should think about the overall cost of your plan. At times these high premium plans cover preventative care providers , specific cancer screenings, and may be exempt from deductible. This is a result of the Affordable Care Act.

Co Payment

Health insurance policies can also bill co payments and coinsurance after a deductible is met. A co payment is a flat fee for a specific company, like a $30 fee for physician visits.


Coinsurance is a percentage of their entire price of care. Among the most typical types of coinsurance found in health insurance policies is the 80/20 split. This requires individuals to cover 20% of their invoice while the insurance company covers the other 80 percent.

These out-of-pocket costs can at times be tricky to figure out. Talk to your human resources office to help you understand your health insurance options. Or you can call your insurance company directly with any question you might have.

Prescription Drug Policy.

It is not sufficient to just know that your plan has prescription drug coverage. It is important that you understand which prescriptions will be covered. Generics might have a small copay and brand name medications might cost more. Also keep in mind, some carriers may need patients to attempt lower-tier drugs or get prior approval before the plan will cover expensive drugs .

Health Savings Accounts Eligibility

A health savings accounts is frequently known as an HSA, is a valuable financial tool. In 2019, singles may earn around $3,500 in tax-deductible contributions to a HSA. People who have a household plan may contribute up $7,000 tax-free. Individuals age 55 and older are eligible to contribute an extra $1,000 every year to their HSA.

Only those with an experienced high-deductible health insurance plan are entitled to contribute to a HSA. Family plans need a minimum deductible of $2,700 and highest out-of-pocket costs of 13,500.

A high-deductible health insurance plan is not right for everybody. Even though their low premiums may make them an attractive option, they’re typically best for people who are healthy and hope to have minimum health care requirements. Should you opt to get a high-deductible plan, start looking for one that’s HSA qualified so it is possible to cover your out-of-pocket costs with pay per month bucks.


Gone will be the times when health insurance policies allow you to visit a doctor that you choose. Nowadays, you have to pick a doctor that is within your network. Going to a doctor or facility outside of the network causes higher co payments or denied claims.

Before changing health plans, make sure your chosen doctors will will accept your new insurance. Since networks can change annually, it is wise to double-check the doctor record prior to re-enrolling in any healthcare plan.

Accessible Perks And Advantages.

Many health insurance plans provide complementary perks and advantages to their clients. Most of the time these are wellness programs which help encourage good health. Or your insurance plan may provide resources to make it simple to handle benefits.

Knowing that a plan’s deductibles and network details is helpful when picking a plan for the upcoming year. The seven tips listed above can definitely put you on the right path to picking the right health insurance for you and your family.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here